Tuesday, November 22, 2016

Gullible Mom...Yup. That's me.

Gullible Mom...Yup. That's me.

My kids have my heart.  I was so proud when my daughter went away to school, but I have to say when she changed majors and decided to come home, I was relieved?? Can I say that? No more worry about her being so far away making daily life decisions that I was not apart of.  A mom's innate need to be near her kids? Was I a "smother"?  Probably, but I have to say I love being able to experience her early adult life with her, not a day's drive away. My son missed her too. Terribly. He was brave the year without her, but their hijinks and antics when they are together make me laugh, and keep my heart full. Even when I am the butt of their jokes. It's okay. I can take it.

Two kids who truly enjoy each other's company. Could I ask for anything more? My children who genuinely enjoy each other.  Inside jokes, plotting, making short films, and making fun of their gullible mom.  So happy to be a source of entertainment for them.  Almost eight years apart and they often prefer each other's company over friends.  Of course, sibling issues are always present but he is the male version of her. Genetics can be scary!! Same walk, laugh, sense of humor, even mirror images of birthmarks and freckles.  Both love reading, but their own genres, not necessarily what is required for school.  Have no fear, when she doesn't want her littler brother around, or vice-versa, it is very apparent.

For our wedding anniversary my husband and I took a trip and left the two together. College student and a pre-teen.  Might be a recipe for trouble?  Fridge was stocked and they had ample family available nearby, along with a couple pretty fierce, not, big dogs to protect them. They left us a list of things they were going to do together while we were gone and asked us to read it. Me, in my hurry to get away with my spouse, did the cursory once-over and said, "Yea looks great! Have fun and be safe!" Poof! We were out the door. It wasn't until we got home days later and reread the list that at the bottom was a to-do that was meant just for me. Gullible mom. Silly mom.

Here were a few things on their to-do list:

  • Go to the movies
  • Wash the dogs
  • Keep up the dishes
  • Bake cookies
  • Stay up late
  • Go for a bike ride
  • Go to the park
  • Go swimming
  • Burn down the house

Really??  Burn down the house?? That explains their hysterical laughter as we left the house. I hadn't seen it. Mom was clueless. It was only there as a joke, and I didn't see it. Yea, their sense of humor slays me. It was a running joke for weeks that I didn't catch it before we left. Me. Gullible mom. Even still they occasionally patronize me and say, "Mom...this is sarcasm." Ha. Ha. But have no fear, there is a line. And when they Poke the Bear, they know it. That's me. The Bear.

Despite their constant attempt to make me look foolish, lovingly of course, they are fiercely protective. Of home, of family, of tradition. Both are extremely loyal to family and friends. When they make friends, it is a life-long relationship. Powerful. Full of love. Purposeful. They respect and love their friends, and their cousins are their closest friends. Both kids shy away from drama (thank the Lord!), and keep life in perspective.  Family first. Friends next. Then the rest.

We love deeply in our family. If you betray or hurt us, it takes a long time to recover or forgive. And when we do forgive, we do not forget. Not altruistic but how we are wired. It has taken me years to practice showing grace toward others, but my children have the skill down pat. They are patient and kind with others and each other, and have a wicked sense of humor. (My Boston family would be proud.) Yup.  My family.  And I love them so dearly!

I am so very thankful that they are both Christians and firmly believe in the power of prayer. For years as I drove the kids to school and to daycare, we prayed each morning in the car as we pulled out of the driveway. Over time, schedules changed, but some traditions never die. When we ride together now and leave the home, we pray. Out loud. Thanking the Lord, reflecting on His greatness, and with prayer and petition for those in need. Thinking of others and knowing prayer works. To save, guide, protect and teach. God is good!

These kids. My heart. Full-up and exploding. So proud, and still so gullible. At least, that's what they think. 😉

"You're a parent. This is your circus. And these are your monkeys."

No comments: